So last we spoke, I told you that I was chosen as a Featured Designer for the Habitat for Humanity Women Build Luncheon. Each of the four designers was given a budget of $150 to spend at the ReStore to pick pieces we would makeover in some way. We would then return the pieces to Habitat who will then auction them off as a fundraiser. I also mentioned that Donna from DNB Events is doing all the press for the event, is a friend of mine and was the one who put my name up for consideration.
She and I had spoken about what the event might be when she asked if I was interested. She had mentioned at the time they were looking to have the designers refinish three pieces for the auction. When I received my official invitation letter it only mentioned the budget amount. I of course still had the number three in my head so when I went shopping last Saturday, I searched for a long time to find three great pieces for under $150. Yesterday I went back to pick up my pieces and someone mentioned that I seemed ambitious to work on so many. Other designers had only picked one or two! There was a moment when I thought I should change my mind and do less. But then I realized that I already had plans for all of the pieces and didn’t want to give any of them up. Plus three pieces will hopefully raise more money!
So in about a month when I am going crazy and making sure everything is finished I will look at back on this and think I was crazy. But then again when have I have been known to do something small. And I have wanted to start working out more. I am reminding myself that after all the sanding and staining, my arms are going to look killer.
Today I introduce you to our first piece to refinish for the luncheon. It was the first one I picked out. I love the clean lines (read: less hand sanding) and the wood grain. This is a picture from the ReStore.
It looks pretty grungy and the top is rather stained. The finish is flaking off in a lot of places which may make it easier for me to get it off.
One of the first things to grab my eye was the shape of the hardware. It’s a little grungy in spots so it needs a good cleaning at the least. I am still up in the air about doing anything else to them.
Since I picked up the pieces yesterday afternoon, I have already been working. Having three to do in a month is a bit much but I’m in it now so I better get to work! Let’s just hope Lincoln takes a lot of long naps.