So let’s get back to some furniture makeover, shall we? I have a backlog of wonderful projects to show you that I have finished but haven’t posted about yet. I am blaming this tiny child to be for using up all my energy.
Today I bring you one of my favorite makeovers ever. I had received an email with a picture of this dresser and was pretty excited. When I got to the client’s house to see it I fell in love. This dresser has such wonderful lines and details that you just don’t see anymore. This was from the same client as the now famous Tall Cabinet makeover and one other piece you will see soon. We had worked out what the plan was with those two but this dresser was more of an adventure. I suggested we strip of all the layers of paint and see what we got and she was game. It’s my favorite kind of client who is along for the adventure.
So here is the before picture.
Once I got this back to the shop I couldn’t wait to douse the thing in SoyGel. In order for any paint stripper to work you need to leave it alone to do it’s job. I kept sneaking over and trying to scrape little sections to get a sneak peak. The coolest part was how everything started changing colors as the SoyGel ate through the layers of different colored paint.
Once I started scraping the old paint off you could see there were tons of layers. I am guessing at least 7 or 8 judging by the different colors. I will say I was very impressed with the Soygel which got through all those layers easily. In fact the goo became so heavy that the paint layers were just falling off in sheets.
After seeing what was underneath I called the client to come take a look. We both agreed that what was underneath was so beautiful that it shouldn’t be fussed with. We decided to let the wood show through and just use the clear Polywhey in a satin finish.
And here is the after.
All of the different colors on this dresser are just different kinds of wood. I didn’t use any stain. The drawers look to be one sheet of veneer (walnut?) that goes across the big drawers. The smaller drawers and the very bottom all match with a burled wood. The detail on two of the larger drawers is yet a different burled wood. I wish I was better at identifying wood (I am working on it) but it looks like at four types were used here.
That by the way is the original hardware. I just put it all into a small tray and brushed on some of the SoyGel. Once it had sat for a bit I took a soft toothbrush and lightly brush all the paint off. I covered with a coat of wax and buffed it up.
This is one of those projects I start out excited about and then fear sets in. This is a beautiful piece and I start to worry if I can do it justice. I sat with dental tools making sure all the paint was out of the crevices. It really deserved putting in the time and not just throwing another coat of paint over it.
Thank you Theresa for allowing me to find out how pretty it was under all the layers
Linking up at: