I am so excited to announce that I am hosting a giveaway of the Real Milk Paint Co’s Half Pure Tung Oil & Half Citrus Solvent!!!!
If you have been following along lately you will know I was chosen as a Featured Designer for the Habitat for Humanity Women Build Luncheon where I was asked to refinish three pieces that would be auctioned off. The proceeds will go to Habitat to help more local families. Our area was badly hit by Hurricane Sandy and a terribly high percentage of the people that lost their houses are still not back home.
Two of my three pieces were finished with Pure Tung Oil. It’s an old school finish that I really love. Why?
– It’s a food safe finish (you can use it on cutting boards and such) that doesn’t fill your house with toxic chemicals, which you know is very important to me.
– It’s a drying oil which means it sinks into the wood and hardens into a tough solid finish. Unlike non-drying oils, like mineral oil, there is a chemical reaction when exposed to air to make it durable, and with tung oil you also get water resistance.
– If you get wear and tear you can simply lightly sand and apply a new coat of tung oil. No stripping and sanding to get it back to bare wood. You can’t do that with poly.
– Application is so easy anyone can do it without any crazy skills. You brush or rag it on, let it soak in then wipe it off. You don’t have to worry about brush marks or overbrushing.
– The Half Pure Tung Oil & Half Cirus Solvent means there is no mixing or thinning. You can use this straight out of the bottle and don’t need to buy a thinner.
The downside? It will take a few more coats than a poly. But since you can slap it on I find that each coat takes less time, so it may not matter much. It also takes longer to dry, 7-10 days for minimum cure and 15-30 days for full cure. That is about the same for most of the waxes out there. Once you wipe the excess off the finish is dry to the touch. So if say you are working on the back porch and your husband picks that opportunity to use the leaf blower right by you, the finish won’t be sticky like poly and ruin everything. (Ask me how I know.)
I chose to use Pure Tung Oil on my pieces for the luncheon because I figured no one else would be and it would be a great way to showcase something most people weren’t familiar with. I say Pure Tung Oil is an old school finish because somewhere along the line people wanted to go faster and add a bunch of chemical drying agents to make new finishes. They are toxic, release toxic nastiness into the air and I don’t think it’s really what you want on your cutting boards.
This stuff is pretty thick and needs to be thinned for the wood to soak it in. Instead of using mineral spirits (toxic) I prefer to thin it with Citrus Solvent, made from the oil in orange peels.
I will have a table at the luncheon where I can put out my info and chat with people about the different finishes. I contacted the Real Milk Paint Co to ask if they would provide me some brochures so I could show people what I was talking about. Lucky for all of you they offered to send me some tung oil to giveaway!!! (I had already began finishing pieces when I got the offer. My opinions are my own.)
I have 3 bottles of the Half Pure Tung Oil & Half Citrus Solvent to giveaway. The giveaway is now live and you can enter in the Rafflecopter widget box below. The winners will be announced on Thursday May 14th.
Must be 18, US resident. Void where prohibited by law. Three winners will be chosen using the Rafflcopter widget from all eligible entries. The winners will have 48 hours to claim their prize or alternate winners will be chosen. Any email addresses entered will not be sold or shared.